Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Feeling ashamed. by Wesley

12/22/2014

It is 3 days before Christmas, and without further adieu, I make the following confession:
I am ashamed of myself.

That was an easy one, right?

I got a letter from my lovely step-daughter the other day, offering all manner of encouragement and praise.  I have been rolling it around in my head since.  She said, "...I couldn't have asked for a better step-dad....".  You mean, except for the being in jail part, right?  Except for being the disbarred, disgraced, disaster that I am, right?  And, that isn't even why I'm ashamed!  Seriously.  Though that offers me plenty of opportunities for shame, that isn't the worst.

I'm blessed with having the most wonderful sort of woman for a wife.  She's the perfect blend of sweet, and "good crazy".  The years and choices have taught me that all women are crazy, at least in part, or, they are boring.  I will take, (and have taken), crazy, over boring, most of my life.  The key is to find, good crazy.

This is a rare commodity.

Finding good crazy is akin to finding a good mechanic.  They may screw you, but you trust them to do it for a good price.  I have no idea what that means.  My wife is not a prostitute. This is a family blog.

The reason I am ashamed is because, lately, I have been so busy feeling sorry for myself, that I have forgotten how my senseless behavior has affected Lesa.  Yes, I am in jail, and it sucks.  But, whatever the circumstances, I did it.  I have nobody, but myself to blame.

Lesa, on the other hand, is blameless.  In fact, she told me on several occasions she was worried about me and asked whether she should switch to days to be home with me at night.  Translation: switch to days to keep an eye on me, and keep me safe.  Despite her concern, she now has to manage 2 houses, 3 dogs, 2 kids in college, 1 in high school, who is as moody as a magic 8 ball, 2 cats, 2 cars, 2 motorcycles, a full-time job, a lawyer for her husband, and her husband, commissary and phone costs, and his ailing mental health.

And she does it all with no "I told you so", or anger, (like I said, good crazy).   She focuses so much on me and others, that she often forgets to take care of herself.  She does an amazing job, but I am ashamed of her having to do that job.  I'm ashamed that I put us and our life at risk- no matter what the circumstances.

Total dick move.

Thanks Obama.




No comments:

Post a Comment