Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Doesn't everyone deserve compassion? by Lesa

I have just read my husbands blog on justice.  It, in my opinion, is the best entry he has wrote.  When we as society, try to blindly, like a formula in math, try to punish a criminal, or pass judgement, it is ignorance that blindly leads us.  I have learned a lot in the time since we have been together.  I was raised in a conservative, christian background.  In my previous life, white, conservative christian(more of a moderate my children will tell you, especially as I got more of a sense of self), married for 25 years, raising 6 children, and living in the bubble of the suburbs, I was ignorant of a lot of injustices of the world.  Justice is not equal for the black, white, and brown.  The poor and rich absolutely have different types of justices available to them.  I have heard enough of similar experiences and charges having different outcomes with those who can afford counsel, especially good counsel.

I have heard of incidences of deals getting offered to folks, unable to afford bond, pleading guilty to deals that they may or may not have been guilty of, because the sentence is "time served".  Including, felonies, which is particularly sad, because they are ignorant of the consequences of having a felony on your record.

I can think, like my husband does, of both sides of a coin.  If it was my daughter being robbed at gun point, at a Jack in the Box, she may not be physically hurt, but I assure you, she will be emotionally traumatized to some degree.  But I can also look with compassion, at the circumstances that might have led him to make a one time bad decision.  He appears remorseful, has his faith, that appears genuine, and supportive family, to assist him with rehabilitation, but no crime comes without any consequences.  But deciding the appropriate punishment, with balance, fairness, and consideration of all the facts, is a difficult decision.  I guess that is why we should be choosing Judges that we know have a history of doing just that.

My husband, for example, has admitted his guilt.  For someone who has been harmed by a drunk driver, they can be angry, unforgiving, and without any reserve, want him locked up for life.  But my husband is not the person who committed the first DWI.  He has been to rehab, has learned better coping skills, been humbled, not only by losing his esquire, but by learning to understand people better, no longer considering himself better than those he represents.  He is capable of making mistakes of judgement, of not thinking through the consequences of his choices.  His severe ADHD as added to his spontaneous bad choices.  He takes medication, has learned to decrease his impulsive decisions, and to trust in another person, me, his wife, to help him.

We humans are complicated.   Life is complicated by childhood baggage, by race, by our environment.  Throw in religion, abuse, addiction, there are endless complicating circumstances.  In normal life, I hope that I can always provide compassion, care, and hope to those who cross my path. I know my husband, in his current residence, has to also apply good judgement to his choices, but also does the same. He has wrote stories of some of his fellow dormmate's circumstances, and while we are not the judges, it is still up to us to treat one another with respect, and hopefully compassion.  Wesley states there are many who cause him to feel revulsion, but still, there are some, even accused of terrible crimes, that require a second look.  And while justice is to be decided by others, we can still choose to be compassionate.  I have donated books, put money for inmate on commissary, or phone, I have been a pen pal to one, a female, who is in a similar circumstance as my husband. Except in this instance, she is innocent.  I will save her story for another day.  Tell me what your opinion is on how justice is handed out, or should be? I am curious to what others, in different situations, may think.

Lastly, as a teaser, I will tell you, that I have a special guest blog entry coming from an inmate.  I hope it to be a learning experience for us all, but mostly, a way to healing for him.  Keep tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment