Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tension. by Wesley

9/18/2014

For the most part, I am isolated in this tank.  There are a handful of people who I'm friendly with, but you will mostly find me reading on my bunk.  This is a choice I make because I want to avoid hassle, stress and drama.

We all have our drama, of course.  Bad results in court.  Loneliness. Strife with our loved ones.  Prejudices.  Every other manner of frustration.  They all lead to tension.

And this place is a powder keg.  Fights, near fights, threats and taunting.  All of it along racial lines.  Every single incident.  I don't know if this is conscious effort, and I suspect it is not, but there are two camps evolving: Black and non-black.

The rules are not set in stone, so people occasionally cross the racial lines, but not for long.

At this moment, all the black people are huddled around the T.V.  The non-black are elsewhere.  A new confrontation caused an escalation of tension and the wagons are circling.

The exception to this rule is that the older people are friendly and non-confrontational, irrespective of color.  Thankfully, I'm part of that group.

But despite my membership in the gray beards club, I seek to avoid any conflict, especially racial conflict, so I avoid most contact with most people.  The less contact with others, the less chance for friction that can ignite the powder keg.


No comments:

Post a Comment