Sunday, September 7, 2014

Court date. by Wesley

9/3/2014

"Today was my first court date since my incarceration.  As such, it could mean everything, or it could mean nothing.  I had no idea what to expect, so I was afraid, in all honesty.

My legal dilemma is divided into 2 parts in 2 counties.  I was initially going to deal with the new charge in Harris County first and then let the second county follow the first.  At the very last second, we decided to reverse the order and I turned myself in to Montgomery county to deal with the old case first.

This had a problem.  No matter what the merits of the new case, guilt or innocence was in question and a trial was a bargaining chip.  In the old case, my fate rested on whatever good will I had earned in the court.

So, leading up to this date, I felt like a train was rushing at me and Snidely Whiplash had tied me to the tracks!  There was no end to my incarceration, and I was completely at the mercy of a man who in my four years of experience with had never shown me any mercy.

In my heart I knew I had finally succeeded in putting the finishing touches on my self destruction.  In less than ten years I had gone from respected local personal injury attorney with some national recognition to disbarred felon serving a decade in prison.

But as soon as I expected the worse, I was granted a reprieve.  I sat stunned as my lawyer explained that everything that I'd told him was my longshot wish was granted- and my attorney did not even have to ask.

Lesa says the good result arose from her prayers.  I need not point out that I'm an atheist - she knows.  But I guess I can rejoice in the fact that I can reap the rewards of her prayer AND maintain my intellectual honesty.

So I got that goin' for me. Which is nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment