Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Yay, a court date!

Well, it may not be good news at court, but at least the waiting will be partly over.  I guess I never really explained how we ended up here.  I was working a night shift, Wesley went to a birthday party of a friend.  As what happens many times when I work nights, Wesley misses me, and is lonely.  This day was not different, except at his friends house he decided to have a few drinks.   He thought it had been enough time, he had been eating, but he messed up.  On his motorcycle he likes to dance, he listens to music on his headphones, and sways back and forth in his lane. He got pulled over. I had just texted him, around 11pm, asking him what he was doing. I had not heard from him in awhile.  He said he had gotten pulled over and would be arrested for DWI.  I stared at the screen, my gut wrenched. All I could do was type, OMG. I was just shocked.

I had been through this before.  I had met Wesley, another long story, and we had just gotten serious in our relationship when he was thrown into jail for missing a drug urine test, which is the same as a dirty test. The judge held him for 3 months before telling him he could go to SAFP for 9 months, or get revoked.  During the 3 months at County I didn't get to touch him. I got two 20 minute per week visits.  Once he got to SAFP, which was just over 200 miles, one way, I drove every weekend for a 2 hour visit.  Because I came from so far, once a month I was allowed an extra 2 hour visit on the same weekend. I would stay in a hotel and have Saturday and Sunday to visit.  We wrote almost every day.  We talked on the phone every day.  It was good therapy, but was so long, so hard, I missed him so much.  Now, I'm looking at that phone, seeing his text, thinking, I am not going to see him again for 3-5 years. I was heartbroken and I still had to finish my shift, pretending everything was okay.  Wesley was allowed to keep his phone for a couple of hours and he texted with me til his phone died. He was devastated, suicidal.  Told me to divorce him and move on.  He told me later, he looked around the cell for something to kill himself with.  Despite my own heartbreak, I hurt for him.  I told him over and over, it would be okay, that we would get through it together.  When I got home in the morning, I could finally let it go.  Thank God my kids were gone, I wept. I couldn't sleep and had work again.  I knew work would be a good distraction. I showered, drank water and got dressed.  I was in shock.  I came home, I knew I wouldn't hear from him for a few days while they processed him in Harris county.  At one point I was angry at him, felt like I had been betrayed.  My last memory with him, he was dressed so handsomely, getting ready to go visit his friend. He leaned down and gave me a peck on the cheek.  My last touch for maybe 3 years?  I cried.  I cried a lot.

The other fun part of this was Wesley's identity was being mixed up with another with his same birthday.  The other guy was a really bad guy.  This has happened in the past.  We believe part of the reason he was arrested at all was because of this other guys record.  My husband says the arresting officer was very nice, even asking him what he was doing driving the way he was, Wes explained it.  Anyway, they didn't set bond at first, and when they finally did they through out a $100,000 bond, which was grossly over fair.  But there is no negotiations, you pay it if you want out, Judge set it high because he never thought he would be able to pay it.  Luckily, I have wonderful friends like attorney Lori Laird, my best friend, and another friend she introduced me to attorney Shari Goldburg, an attorney who also own Freedom Bail Bonds/Bay Area Bail Bonds.  These people are awesome. I was so stressed they handled everything professionally, quick, and were just awesome.  I can not recommend any of them enough.  Wesley got out of jail the day before we had to leave to see my son get married.  It was 2 months and 3 court dates before he finally turned himself in to Montgomery County.

So now, Wesley is on probation in Montgomery County, waiting to see what the judge will decide to do for breaking his probation.  Then we have to face up to Harris County and what they decide to do.  We are praying, praying and hoping that Wesley will be allowed to go to rehab, get clean and sober, and get another chance.  He would be on a probated prison sentence, fingers crossed....well, I will be praying.  Till then, I don't think I will be eating or sleeping much. I have more to write, but I am falling out. I am only halfway through my work week. 50 hours this week, I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment