Sunday, March 8, 2015

Jessica's wedding. by Wesley

7-15

I close my eyes and I can almost see Jessica.  I have pictures of her, so I can know how she looks clad in her white gown.  Lesa sent me bridal pictures that she took.  A veil obscures but a little, and her eyes dancing with joy are clear.

I don't know what song is playing, and I don't know what the place looks like, and I don't know how people are sitting, and I don't know who is crying, except Lesa- she IS crying and I don't know who isn't crying, and i don't know any details, except that as my pen glides across this page, Jessica is getting married.

Right now, far away- in Nevada- and I'm not there, but it's happening right now.

Lesa is there, sitting with Isaac, or Adam, or Cristina, or all three, and I hope she misses me- but not at this instant- because this moment belongs to Jessica.

Jessica.  So much like her mother, who I love so much.  But very different too.  So sweet, but also so protective of her mother.

Jessica.  She once threatened to kill me. And she meant it!!

I wish her the most wonderful of futures.  I wish her all the happiness I have found with her mother.  I wish her the new future she hopes will be there.

I'm not there to tell her these things in person, and I'm not there to hold Lesa's hand as she cries, and I'm not there to kiss Cristina, (my daughter), and I'm not there to tussle Isaac's hair and I'm not there to protect Lesa, and I'm not there to help, because no matter how different the future will be, or I will be, there is a toll to be paid for the past.  I pay it every day-- so does Lesa-- but today, the price is much higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment